Friday, May 6, 2011

Creating Philosophical Content

I love to laugh. As my other mother would say, "If we're not laughing, we're crying." I guess I have cried so much that somewhere along the way I just became a laugh junkie. Laughing has proven therapeutic qualities as I believe it scales away the layers of the everyday shit that sometimes gets stuck to the cosmic boot.  Its like dancing, sexing and getting shmammered. These things relieve the pressure of having to conform to this social construct. We are, after all, the greatest of the apes and not being free find ways to act out our instincts. Think of the noise a chimpanzee will make when it goes bananas!!!! Laughter. I'm so addicted to it that I can take almost nothing seriously.

It all began when a certain someone whose name kinda rhymes with LaughOtaku;) invited me to the loft. The legendary loft on St. Laurent that is no more. I got hooked right away, and for me, the Too Much show lived up to its name, too much awesome underground comedy, and too much smoke! I loved that place because I could get dressed up and still get to chill on the couch for a couple of hours and feel like you did something. The loft inspired me and really changed my life. I will be forever be grateful to George Hamilton Braithwaite and all the Too Much veterans, you remember who you are. The closing of that flash in time was devastating to all of us laugh junkies and left us scattered and without religion once again. But we were not without supply for long, for the 514 is rife with hilarity! I eventually found Bruno Ly and Bobby Forget at the House of Reggae (Thursday nights at 9pm). Though I once again have a regular fix, I think often about that first high. It is the standard to which all others will be henceforth be held. I wish so much we could get it back. Everything I do is out of grief for the loft. That is how I became No. 1 superfan otaku for laughs.

 I love amateur stand up because it is free and because it just has so much heart. I think its rawness opens a dialogue that we need to have. When we laugh about dirty shit, or things we know we shouldn't be laughing about, we are free. Its also OK to BOO! Anything to get the pipes going. Its all about expression. I feel safe in a society where we can grab the mic and dissent. May we say a prayer for Too Much and strive always to maintain that spirit of freedom. Comedy is the vitality of our consciousness bursting forth and rejoicing in the spoken word. Laughter is sacred to me because it delivers me from my earthly suffering. Word up.

No comments:

Post a Comment