Thursday, May 26, 2011

WE ASKED TREVOR FORESTELL




NAME

 Trevor Forestell, It's pronounced like Chappelle, except  fuck yo' love seat.



STAGENAME

I don’t have one, that’s my real name. It’s common to change their name or shorten it up a little bit cause a lot of people have names like Artakius Artakustopolous, and it’s hard to pronounce that shit! If I ever changed my name it’d be Trevor Everest.



 WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS CALL YOU?

Asshole.



 WHAT DO YOU CALL YOURSELF, LIKE A TITLE?

(he misunderstands me and hears:) The big twizzle??? (laughs in pure disgust) That’s ridiculous. No, I don’t have a title.



 SIGN?

Cancer.



HOMETOWN

Montreal. NDG, born and raised.


WHAT IS YOUR DAY JOB?

 I’m a technician for Mercedes Benz Canada, (it’s true, he has the fat ride to prove it)



 How long HAVE you been in the game?

 A little over 3 years now. March 2008



 How did you start out?

 As a kid I was a cellist and I did a lot of other things in the arts but I was attracted to comedy. I used to go in and watch the shows a lot then a friend of mine, Joey Elias, did a comedy class at The Nest. I called him up and was like dude, I don’t know how to get started. When I got to the class it was like why haven’t I already been doing this? I should have done this a long time ago. I already knew a lot of comics as friends so I got started relatively quickly.



WHERE WAS YOUR FIRST TIME?

 At that class. The next Monday I was doing comedy at the Comedy Works. The day after that I did it at a place called The Next Door in NDG. At the time John Hasting’s was running a room there with Paul Baluyot. I started to do it up to 4 times a week, and I’ve been doing it like that since.



 What makes you funny?

 I’m not that humble of a person so I have no problem answering that question. (kidding) I really am a bit of an asshole. I’m not a shtickish comedian. I hope to be a comedian that is unique. I try to write more cerebral stuff. I’m analytic, studying how people react, not just for the shock value.



 Best thing about being comedian?

 The chicks! Noooo…there’s no chicks. The best thing is being able to express yourself, like when you have a shit day. You can turn it around and make a good joke out of it and you get instant gratification.



WHAT’S THE WORST?

 The game yo. Egos and animosities.



 IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON A DESERT ISLAND WITH ONLY ONE OTHER COMEDIAN, WHO WOULD IT BE?

 God you know it changes every week. This week? Norm Macdonald. He’s just great.



 IF YOU COULD BRING ONE COMEDIAN BACK FROM THE DEAD (TO BONE) WHO WOULD IT BE?

 Richard Pryor. I just want to do the drugs with him and write jokes.



WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COMEDY CLUB AND WHY?

 Absolute Comedy club in Ottawa, There’s like 300 people on a Wednesday night, who laugh at everything you say. They laugh hard! I’ve seen a dude in the front row with snot bubbles coming out his nose! People knocking over drinks and shit, cause their laughing so hard.



 What is your ultimate career goal?

 To be the funniest comedian I can be. To be able to live off my words. I like to be able to make fun of things and speak my heart but I want those jokes to have meaning.



 WHAT IS A FUNNY WORD?

Catapult, flamethrower, shyster, loser. That’s ones a classic. Funny word, loser. Any way you use it.



 What is funny?

 Everything, I can see the humour in everything.



 What is not funny?

 Unhappiness, Life is what you make it and if you have a good spirit, the world speaks to you. It’s all about choice.



 Do you have any advice for newbies?

 Do it as much as you can


(I tell him about my 2nd show, and inability to time myself)

 Yeah, in the beginning it seems like it goes by really quick, you’re so eager to get stuff out. It takes a long time before things start to settle down. After a year of doing it a lot you’ll see. The more you hone it the better you get. You’ll always forget to say this or it will come out faster than you wanted it to. But one day you will have a set and it seems like time slows down, your jokes are going to come out in auto pilot and the show is going to happen.



WHAT IS YOUR COMEDIC PHILOSOPHY?

 Work hard, stay humble and show love before you expect to get love.








No comments:

Post a Comment